Sunday 15 July 2012

CONTENT!


Hyperbolic, parabolic Geometry. OMG! I had never heard these words till we had a task to prove that sum of all triangles is equal to 180 deg. In my own very limited and handicapped understanding I always believed it to be true until my friends challenged it with those terms. Whatever that meant however that proved was going above my head. But, these notions were challenged were given a base to prove it, and how they arrived at it.

This for many of us actually challenged the existence of whole subject matter of Math! Said my Friend. But this was not the case with math alone almost all subjects; that includes social science, science, aesthetics, ethics and history were also included. Initially I considered it to be a fruitless layer of understanding but finally when the truth unfolded itself in the form of giving it a meaning in terms of: Concept/content, truth validation, investigative methodology, criterion precision. It seemed as if education is titanic in nature.

Well, my major learning out of this whole exercise was about the pedagogical issues and distribution of knowledge and skills. And, it helped me understand the nuances of each subject better and the characteristics that it carried with self.

I learnt Why Science is the way it is and why maths is maths. I have an vague idea of the nature.

But, am not very sure of how I can apply this to help teachers?? 


No comments:

Post a Comment